Thursday 3 July 2014

What are these? - Track Side Makers

I spend a lot of time on railway platforms I have often looked at these things and wondered what they are? I have asked quite a few people but have never got a definite answer.  Guesses include they show the ballast high, they are a vibration indicator or they indicate clearances.

If anybody knows I would be very interested to find out!


  1. They are datum gauges used to mark the correct level or position of the rail track.

    1. Thank you for that insight been trying to figure that one out for ages. For anybody else, armed with the correct name I found this one the web.